Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2010 Senseless, I mean Census


Twelve questions. Twelve simple questions. For the past few months I've seen probably just as many advertisements for the 2010 Census as I did for the Olympics. Who is sponsoring these twelve questions? Television commercials (during prime time), radio ads and even a preemptive mailer to remind us that it was coming up. Where does the money come from to support all of this bureaucratic hoopla?

I know, the census provides some very important information to the powers that be so they can understand the demographics of different areas so they know where to allow future gentrification... Shit, did I type that out loud? Whoops! I mean so they know what areas need assistance and what-not.

Didn't they used to have census takers that went around door to door and asked people face to face these same questions? Well, I guess the new mail-in version makes more sense, nowadays who the hell wants to give out their information to some stranger? Talk about potential identity theft ring. However, I see some problems with the current method of information gathering. 1) My census questionnaire came in English. 2) There is no way to make me answer and return the questionnaire. 3) I don't have to answer honestly since there is no one to confirm or disprove my recordings. ( I always though "Pacific Islander" sounded cool and exotic). I live in a city where there is a considerable population of immigrant and refugee "tenants" some of which may be able to speak English but are unable to read it, furthermore, there are, I'm sure, plenty of undocumented laborers living in this city who won't be reporting their household information but that are definitely a noticeable part of the current demographic. With so many options for dismissing and/or falsely reporting your household information why put so much time and especially money into such a poorly structured information pool? I know that we need to create jobs but are these the kinds of pencil pushing bureaucratic pseudo work positions that we really need to be handing out?

As for myself and my household, we will likely be filling ours out and sending it back in, as to whether or not we become "Pacific Islanders" or not remains to be seen. I do want to do my part if for no other reason than to point out how pointless it was. Kind of like voting!

No comments: